Thursday, February 28, 2008

Who knew... did you know? I didn't...

On my recent quest to eat more healthy I have come across a few things that I can't believe I never knew. You may have known them but I sure didn't.

#1 The chicken that changed my life.

Did you know when you buy frozen chicken breasts you don't have to thaw them? Easiest recipe ever! Take any seasoning or rub (this can be BBQ, Greek, really any flavor you want, they have at least 30 different ones at any grocery store) and sprinkle this on both sides of the frozen chicken. Put the chicken on an oven safe cooking dish (spray it with what ever you want to keep the chicken from sticking). Then pop it in the oven on 350 for 50min to an hour depending on how thick the chicken is. I have even put this in the oven on delayed timed bake (don't worry it wasn't in there long enough to go bad or anything) while I went to church and had fresh hot chicken when I came home. I use it on salads, by itself, anything. It is so much more tender cooked this way then pan fried or stir fried like I have always cooked it. I NEVER knew you didn't have to thaw chicken!!! How sad is that.


#2 Pan Fried Tilapia

Now this one does need to be thawed... oops, be right back. O.k. my dinner is currently thawing. Heat a pan on the oven with a little oil, until it is really hot. Sprinkle the thawed tilapia with "blackened seasoning" on both sides. Then throw them in the pan and cook for just a minute or two on each side until the fish flakes and is cooked through. Presto! You have fish that might as well come from a restaurant. Serve with your favorite sides. Currently mine is baby salad greens with grape tomatoes and sliced cucumbers with either raspberry wine vinaigrette or Asian silk spray dressing. YUM! (that is dinner tonight!)


That's all for now!

1 comment:

Tana said...

I didn't know that. I am going to give that a try since I just bought some frozen chicken!
Thanks for the tip. Yes, I did say, you all!!