Saturday, November 24, 2007

To Teach or not to Teach...

I find myself considering going back to school so that I can get my BA and teaching certificate. Some of you might find this a bit odd since at church I always pegged myself as the one that is not gifted or interested in teaching Sunday school. I have said that for YEARS. So what has changed? Well my reasons seem to be three fold on that one. #1 Rebellion - I was required to teach Sunday school, in fact tomorrow I'm covering for someone tomorrow and I'm a little excited about it. #2 Mine very own - I don't find it terribly easy or fun to teach my own boys things at home. However, put them in a class full of kids and its a kick. #3 Temperament- I have not always had the patience to handle children, however, after finding my all natural happy pill I'm much better now!

It is odd, I wanted to be a teacher when I was growing up until I got came to know the Lord then I wanted to be a pastors wife (mainly just because I really wanted to be like the pastors wife at my church). I even felt that the Lord has spoken to me that I would be a teacher. I explained that away as being a teacher of anything but certainly He was not asking me to go to 4 years of college because I was not interested in that at all. My only desire was to go to Bible College. So, did the Lord speak that to me all those years ago (about 12 to be exact) for now, did I hear Him wrong, or was he simply telling me i would share information with people in general?

I guess there are a few things that get me excited about teaching (warning some of these are not noble, just being real).

#1 I really like to impart information to people, when I get excited about something I love to get others excited too (imagine getting a bunch of early elem kids excited about something!.. So fun!). Anyone who has ever been around me when I get excited knows exactly what I'm talking about!

#2 I really like to encourage, find the kid that doesn't think he is good at anything and find something to encourage them in (this is the "devils" advocate in me). I've seen the impact of when a teacher encourages Jonathan and I LOVE it. Also, this brings in some of the experiences I've had working with foster children.

#3 The starting pay in our school district here for a full time teacher is in the low 40K's (told ya they aren't all noble)

#4 Only working about 180 days per year (oh there's another one)

#5 Being able to work and still get off the breaks that the kids have off. By being able to work I'm referring to the feeling of filling a need, being good at something, and making a financial contribution to the household. I have had a desire to work for a while now but I'm not willing to put the boys in daycare even just for breaks to do it.

So what would all of this look like? Well, I would work for the next two years to get my AA degree in early ed. All distance learning from the local community college. During part of that time I would try to work in a preschool for experience, credits, and reduced tuition for Ian ;-)

Then I may take a year off if I need to establish residency to get reduced tuition at a 4 year college. (I don't think I would need this if we bought a house but while we are renting I would need to live here for a year while not going to college to qualify). Then I would finish my last two years with as much distance learning as possible. Most if not all of it looks to be available online now.

So there ya have it, a thought in progress. What am I doing about it now? Well I have several people who teach here (preschool, elem, high) I'm going to go visit a couple class rooms to get a better feel for it. I may also help out more with Jonathan's class too. I went on a field trip with them and that was an adventure for sure, but fun. Alright, time to put this day to bed!

1 comment:

Tana said...

Sarah, I think you would be a GREAT teacher!!